Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Blast Radius & The Imminent Completion Of Sons 2

Seasons Greetings!

I know, I know. It's been a while since my last post. But this shouldn't surprise you by now. I need inspiration. Only strike when the iron is hot... or in my case, when there aren't any good TV shows on at the moment. With a lull in my fall television schedule, I've peeled myself off the couch, and assembled this attempt at blogging just in time for the holidays.

And what has Josiah Claus been up to this Yuletide?

A brand new 16 & Strange short story!!! >>>>> (Click on this. DO IT.)

BLAST RADIUS is a little story about a former teen pothead named Iggy, forced to live with his strict grandmother after his parents find out about his partying ways. Just think The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, except with less jokes and B-ball, and more drugs. (Remember the episode where Carlton takes the pills out of Will's locker? Tears.)

Also, think more explosions.

As with each entry in the 16 & Strange series, it touches on an issue that many teens deal with. This time around it's drug/alcohol use.

Let me preface this right now: I never did drugs in high school. I didn't have my first drink until after graduation. I've only smoked weed on a handful of occasions, my first time at nineteen years old. I've never touched pills, crack, meth, heroin, cocaine, or any of that. So I didn't write this story from personal experience.

But look at me. Seriously. I'm a straight, white, Christian male with no disabilities or history of abuse, and my parents are still together. If I only wrote from personal experience, my material would be all sorts of BORING. Variety is the spice of life. I try my best to see through the eyes of others, and hope I don't come off as ignorant or naïve. I apologize in advance for any moments that seem inauthentic. But in the end, I think you'll enjoy it.

And what of Daughters of Decay, the sequel to Sons of Sludge?

It is not dead. I repeat, ZAUL AND GENNY ARE NOT DEAD. Seriously, the first draft is about 95% done. I took a little break to write this short story, but will be back on D.O.D. in full force once my kids' winter breaks are done. Pounding out the first draft is always the hardest, the most time consuming for me. But then, after multiple rounds of edits and peer revisions (by that, I mean family members will read it. Thanks guys!), formatting and cover design, I suspect it will be ready for launch this spring. And it'll be a good'un.

Until then, read something. Anything, from anyone. Don't be like me, and sit around, waiting for Gotham or The Walking Dead to come back on. Read something. And if it just so happens to be a certain short story from a certain you-know-who, then be a pal and tell a friend.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment