Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I'm Back! (but not with a Vengeance)

It's been almost 3 weeks since my last blog. Where have I been, you ask? Not in any location or situation that would impede the composing of a blog. I guess I've just been lazy.

I'm about 60% done with Sons of Sludge 1.0, wherein a zombie just proposed to a human girl (She said yes!). Still progressing a little slower than I'd like, but rolling along nonetheless. I've been resisting flirtations with other writing projects, like the second Float installment, or a concept for another paranormal teen novel that my wife and I toyed with a while back. I just need to suck it up and get this first draft done - I think it'll really shine once I start editing it.

Last week I went to go see Rammstein in Dallas, and it was phenomenal. Their live performances were my inspiration for the Shock Tooth concert in Float (if you've seen Rammstein, and have read the book, you'll know what I'm talking about). 

One of the most entertaining aspects of the show, however, were the security guards standing in front of the pit. I guess no one briefed them on the band's affinity for pyrotechnics, because every time flames shot out they would cringe and try to shield the back of their necks from the heat. And of course, for the closer, Till shot foam all over everyone, including the event staff. At least they were smiling and laughing about it - if you've been to a concert, you know the guards don't normally betray any emotion. Good times.

My sales for Float have slowed considerably, and I think the initial surge for it has come to a halt. I think it's time I start trying to advertise beyond just my friends and family, but I'm not sure how. I've read that no one will buy your book unless they know and like you as a writer, but how will they like your writing if they don't first buy your book to read it? It's a sort of a "Chicken or the Egg" scenario. Kinda like how you to have to get an agent before you can get published, but in order to get an agent you have to have something published first. Lame...

I guess it all boils down to having an audience. I've been playing with the idea of making a viral video, one that will get a lot of traffic, then somehow integrating my literary material into it. I know, it sounds a little sneaky, but what else must I do? I got kids to feed, dammit.

No, they're not starving, my family is actually quite blessed. I was just being dramatic.

If anyone has any ideas on generating a successful viral marketing campaign, give me a holla. Also, I'm still looking for takers on writing up a review for Float on Amazon. If you think that's something you'd like to do, then go right ahead. But please, be gentle - it's my first one.

You'll hear from me again in another 3 weeks, if you're lucky. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment